Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement

LHHS Counseling Office banner

LHHS offers a comprehensive dual enrollment (DE) program connected with Mohave Community College (MCC) and Arizona Western College (AWC). All students enrolled in a DE class are dually enrolled for LHHS credit and either MCC or AWC credit.

Dual Enrollment classes offered at LHHS use MCC and AWC-approved curricula and textbooks and are taught by LHHS instructors who are community college certified. These courses are instructed during regular school hours. Students will be awarded high school credit upon successful completion of a DE class that will be listed on the student's transcript, denoted at DE. The student will also be awarded credit through MCC if the student completes the course with a "C" or better, which will be posted to the student's MCC transcript.


What is Dual Enrollment?

The Dual Enrollment Program is the result of an agreement between participating Lake Havasu Unified School District, specifically, Lake Havasu High School (LHHS), and Mohave Community College (MCC) and Arizona Western College (AWC). LHHS's Dual Enrollment Program is a great way for high school students to get a jump-start on their college education. Dual Enrollment is an opportunity for eligible high school students to earn lower-division college credit during regular school hours at their high school. Dual enrollment courses allow students to earn both high school and college credit for the same class. The credit earned may be used to complete an AGEC (Arizona General Education Curriculum), Associate's Degree as well as a Bachelor's Degree at a transfer university (depending on the receiving institution's requirements).


Why Dual Enrollment?

The Dual Enrollment Program allows students to:

  • Enroll in college courses taught at their high school.
  • Earn college credits while taking high school courses.
  • Transition from high school to college more easily.
  • Receive a quality college experience in a familiar and comfortable environment.
  • Earn credits that transfer to colleges and universities that may apply towards degree or certificate programs.
  • Take academic college-level courses and/or career and technical courses.
  • Receive instruction by high school teachers who meet community college certified requirements.

Dual Enrollment students must:

  • Be a junior or senior in high school.
  • Comply with college and high school policies regarding placement and prerequisites.

How do I enroll in Dual Enrollment?

  • Review the course offerings with an LHHS Counselor; fill out a course pick sheet during pre-registration; review LHHS honors prerequisites for placement into a DE course.
  • Fill out an MCC online application; Instructions are given by School Counselors during pre-registration.
  • Attend an MCC Orientation to complete required registration paperwork.

Dual Enrollment Timeline:
February - April:

  • Students meet with LHHS counselors to review available options for the following school year.
  • Students receive Dual Enrollment registration paperwork to qualify for classes.
  • Student Responsibilities:
    • Complete online application for MCC
    • Take (and score at the necessary level) COMPASS test
    • Attend an MCC Orientation
    • Complete Registration paperwork at MCC Orientation
  • Students select and complete Pre-registration "Pick Sheet" with school counselors during pre-registration
  • All paperwork and pre-registration materials must be submitted and completed prior to the end of April for students to qualify for any Dual Enrollment class the following school year.

Dual Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement?

  • Dual Enrollment courses allow students to receive a grade and credit for the work performed throughout the school year. These credits may transfer to the student's college of choice as direct course equivalents (verify with your university and/or community college major of study).   Review the Course Equivalency Guide to see how community college courses transfer to three Arizona universities at www.AZtransfer.com. If you are planning to attend an out-of-state university, check with that institution to see how credits will transfer. 
  • Advanced Placement classes prepare students to pass the AP test to earn college credit. College credit is awarded solely on the student's performance on this one exam and may transfer to colleges as an elective or required credit based on the student's program of study and the college/university the student plans on attending.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Concurrent College Classes?

  • Dual Enrollment courses are taught on the high school campus, during school hours by qualified high school teachers. Dual enrollment classes may be free for high school students.
  • Concurrent college classes are taught outside of normal school hours, typically not on the high school campus. Students may have to pay MCC tuition for taking concurrent college classes. Students may be able to receive tuition assistance via the Early Start Program or WAVE.

What is the difference in the experience and expectations of a dual enrollment class and a college class?

  • Dual enrollment classes have the same seat-time as a typical high school class (five days a week for one hour). They are taught by high school teachers who may offer more support than the typical college experience.
  • A three-credit college class meets three hours per week (one day for three hours, or three times a week for one hour, for example).
  • In a college environment, there is a heightened expectation that the student will complete reading and the majority of the work outside of class time. It is the student's responsibility to establish a study routine during High School that they can then continue in college.

How do I transfer my college credits to another institution?

  • As a Dual Enrollment student, you are a registered LHHS student and MCC student.  You will have both an HS and a college transcript.  You will need to request official transcripts of both to be sent to any other institution you will be attending.
  • Unofficial and official LHHS transcripts must be requested through the Guidance Office and may take 1-2 days to process.
  • Unofficial MCC transcripts can be accessed and printed through the student's ANGEL account through the MCC student portal.
  • Official transcripts from MCC may take 2-3 weeks to receive and there is a fee for the request.  Students can request official transcripts from MCC either in person on MCC's campus, or online at www.mohave.edu and search "transcript request."



For more information please refer to the course listings in each department.

Contact the counseling office for more information on dual enrollment.